Monday, July 12, 2010

Slip n' Slide... Alaska style

My poor children are still adjusting to the subtle differences between an Alaskan summer and a summer in North Carolina. Ha, subtle...

For instance, my girl has been dying to go to the beach. I told her that if she wants to go to a beach where she can actually wear her swimsuit and possibly go play in the water, we will have to take a trip on an airplane. They also begged me for the slip n' slide we saw at the store. A new slip n' slide was a staple part of our summer diet in North Carolina. You couldn't go outside for an extended period of time without being immersed in water in some form or fashion. 



It was only 7 bucks so I gave in and got them one, although I had a sneaking suspicion of exactly how much it would be used.



I was right, the answer is once.
Princess Blondie made it down exactly once before she curled up in a towel seeking a patch of sunshine to warm up in.




Sonny Boy lasted a bit longer,



but I want you to look closely at the facial expressions here


 See?

Here let me zoom in a bit for you.


It's a wee bit cold.
In fact, my brother-in-law checked the temperature of the tap water at his house once. It was 42* 
That's Fahrenheit, mind you. 42* is a hop, skip, and a jump away from the polar bear plunge. (You know, the crazy people who cut a hole in the ice and jump in?)


Wanna go again, Honey? Pretty please? I want to take your picture.
No thanks, Mom, I'm going to stay here wrapped in my towel and sit in my patch of sun.



The only smart one of this whole group is my nephew. He knows exactly how much body surface area should be in the freezing cold tap water.

Umm, I think I'll just stick my finger in. There, that should do it.


1 comment:

Leave your loving words of kindness here.