Thursday, January 20, 2011

Toothpaste explosion

I finally decided to paint the downstairs bathroom. Our entire house is a very light contractor's beige color. We did paint the kids' rooms when we moved in but we stopped there. At least they got a little color in their lives. It was also part of my plan to ease them into the big move from North Carolina to Alaska. I bribed them into being happy/excited about the move from everything they've ever known by saying they could pick out the paint colors of their new rooms. I'm not above bribery (especially when it comes to children). I finally decided to do something about the boring beige bathroom and now I am having second thoughts. I got tired of practical and neutral. It is a small room so I figured I'd go bold. Turquoise is what I had in mind.


 Toothpaste explosion is what I ended up with. I bet if you licked the walls they would taste minty and whiten your teeth. DH looked at my color choice with a slight bit of disbelief and then painted for me. Pretty much the exact same thing he did with my Popsicle purple front door (I'm hoping this color will grow on me the same way the door color did).
  DH is such a trooper. He puts up with all of my crazy ideas. Unless it involves flowers. He draws the line at girly. I'm hoping to remedy the overpowering aqua with some brown and white stripes. I know that toning something down by adding stripes might seem counter intuitive, but I really think this may work. Now my biggest dilemma is should they be

Katie of Katie Beth Interior
 vertical?


thelennoxx.com
or horizontal?

I am the most indecisive person ever and I'm in a time crunch. I want to get it done before Sonny Boy's birthday party this weekend so people won't know of my epic color choice fail. That pretty much leaves me tomorrow to figure it all out since that's my only day this week with nothing else going on. I can't take this kind of pressure! Ugh.

Update: The finished wall is here. I got a burr in my bonnet and decided that I would forgo stripes all together and went for a lattice stencil. A pain in the butt on textured walls, but I think the end result was worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Horizontal will add width; vertical will add heigth. Spell check doesn't like the way I spelled that word, but it's way too early for me to figure it out when it isn't even in my dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth!

    I hope your weekend is going well!

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I once painted my boring brown bathroom bright lime green!)-epic fail!! My husband's reaction was hysterical when he came home!! Good thing paint is cheap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think horizontal stripes would look awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your loving words of kindness here.