Tuesday, July 20, 2010

America's favorite pastime

Sonny Boy just finished up his first season of little league baseball. He played T-ball two years ago, but that was the extent of his baseball experience. 
Now first let me say this about baseball. I have no desire whatsoever to watch it unless I am a) actually watching it in person, and b) I know someone who is playing.  Luckily for Sonny Boy, both a and b were true.
 
Watching 7 and 8 year old boys play baseball is a comedy of errors. Especially because the fathers take it so seriously. If I had one word of advice it would be to just chill out, relax, shut up, and let the coach handle it. With an emphasis on the shut up part. These are 2nd and 3rd graders. Their baseball skills will improve someday. It doesn't have to be today. 
 
I'll step off my soapbox now.
 
Anyhow, if watching little boys play baseball is a comedy of errors, then our team is the court jester. And we have the record to prove it. I think they put every kid with ADD on our team. No lie. I'm beginning to think it was a conspiracy. The one good thing about that is that Sonny Boy was most certainly not the only one building castles in the dirt, spinning in circles in the outfield, chasing bugs, watching other games on the field next to ours, and just sitting down in center field when tired or bored.


 
The one thing that surprised me the most was the fact that they used a pitching machine. I suppose you can't expect 7 and 8 year olds to pitch accurately though. 
Please notice how is helmet is nearly covering his eyes. One must protect their eyes, I suppose.



He swings...



and he hits it!!!



Now he runs!



Running is the one thing Sonny Boy has always been quite good at. It must come from DH because it certainly doesn't come from me. 



Here he is chatting it up with the first baseman.



This first baseman is one of my favorites. He always tells kids good job no matter what team they are on. I wonder what his mom would say if I took him home with me?



An example of outfield behavior. Dirt must be kicked.


 
Other games on other fields must be watched.



Spins...



must...



be....


completed.


 
 And one final kick.
At this point I would like to direct your attention to the scoreboard. Guess which team is the owner of the big fat zero?
The season ended with a record of 1-18. 

Well, good thing we just play for the fun of it.





















3 comments:

  1. Love it Beth!! Kids baseball is as amusing as kids Christmas programs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Aunt Eva! I LOVE kids Christmas programs. There is always one kid that sings louder than everyone else and one girl with her dress over her head. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When ever my kids participate in sports I love to laugh and laugh at what the kids do during the games. That is the best part of sport and young children. It is too bad some of the other parents can't just enjoy this and are so competitive.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your loving words of kindness here.