Friday, February 18, 2011

My new love

I like art. I don't know a thing about art at all. Not. one. thing. I am an art ignoramus. I just know that certain artists or pieces of work capture my attention. I like what I like. There is really no rhyme or reason to it. I go through phases when I become infatuated with someone in particular. If you look around my house you will see prints from Gustav Klimt (my favorites are Tree of Life and Sea Serpents. I still don't have the latter yet, although I do have some smaller prints of just the faces.), Natasha Wescoat (the tree collection), and one piece from Lisa Kowalski. My newest infatuation is with V Rae

We went to the Sea Life Center when DH and I were in Seward, and along with the incredible  sea creatures that we got to view, we also saw some amazing artwork. In the lower level of the center, V Rae's artwork is displayed alongside the tanks and aquariums.


I loved all of her work, but this one is the one that really stopped me in my tracks. Maybe I just have a thing for moose, but I really love this one, and it just so happens that this is the first animal portrait she had ever done. Prior to spotting this moose in her yard and painting it, she had painted flowers.



The descritpions of her paintings are almost as good as the paintings themselves.



She has a story about how she met each animal and she really has a connection and relationship with them.



I'm always so impressed with people who can paint in watercolor. I don't know much about art, but I do know how finicky watercolor can be. Watercolor doesn't stay put like oil painting. I can't imagine making art like that with paint that really has a mind of it's own. 



My pictures of her pictures really don't do her work justice. You really should check out her website. There are many more pictures there. Some day I'll get one of her prints. The hardest part will be picking just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your loving words of kindness here.