Thursday, June 11, 2009

Trip to D.C.

So DHand I went to D.C. two weeks ago to spend some time with my brother and see some of the sights that we had missed that last time we were there. We went last year and camped and it was miserably hot. We decided to go sans children this time and I'm sure it was much more enjoyable for everyone that way. Four and six year olds have zero interest in monuments anyway and they had a blast at Ty and Ava's house. Thank God I have a fantastic friend who will keep my kids for three days while we go on vacation. Thanks Lindsay!

We had a great time. We stopped at IKEA on the way up and bought a few nightstands for our bedroom. DH and I were still using the nightstands that we had as children. Now they can be relegated back to children's rooms. I was amazed at how big IKEA really was. First I was surprised that there was two floors and then I found out there were actually three. I love all of the stuff in there but I wish a little more of it was actually made out of wood.

We then went drove up to Eric and Nicoles place and parked our car for the weekend. There isn't much need for a car in D.C. We later realized that we parked under a tree where birds promptly pooped all over it. We went out to eat more that weekend then we normally do in a month. It was great. We had some great authentic pizza, some Mexican thing that I can't remember the name of, and even Ethiopian food. Yum, is all I can say!

Saturday we went to Arlington. Just the scope of it is awe inducing. My favorite part was watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. It was really much more emotional than I anticipated. They asked for silence right before the changing of the guard. It was neat to see that many people (including kids on field trips) be quiet for that and quickly shush the people who just walked up not knowing they were supposed to be quiet. It was just nice to see so many people be so respectful when respect for anything seems to be on the downward slide in America.

Later that night we went and saw the monuments. It was really great to see how beautiful they are at night. We took some great pictures and soon discovered that we need a better camera. Eric got some fantastic pictures. I think most of the night shots on the slide show are his, at least the ones that are in focus!

Sunday we went to the Eastern Market and wandered around looking at all the things people had for sale. There was produce, jewelry, furniture, vintage posters, handmade clothes, anything you can think of. We headed home after lunch and picked the kids up right before bedtime. It makes me wonder why we never did this before!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Trip to D.C.
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your loving words of kindness here.